Choosing the right social media influencer may seem tedious to a first-timer, so I want to share the selection process I use on behalf of my clients.
First, let’s define influencer:
Influencer [in-floo-uh n-ser]: A person highly engaged with, and respected by, a large community of your targeted potential customers
In addition to the “popular influencer” defined above, “micro influencers” have emerged as a sub-category of this social media marketing arm.
Micro Influencers are people who don’t have a “large” community (>25k), but are expertly connected to their followers.
Oftentimes, they are specific to one location (think Miami-based foodies vs. an international food bloggers) and offer higher ROI potential for location-based products and services.
Choosing The Right Social Media Influencer
Determine A Measurable Goal
Consider the following:
- What is the specific intended outcome of the campaign?
- How many influencers do you want to involve?
- What are you expecting the influencers to do on your behalf?
- What can you afford to pay/what perks are you willing to offer?
- How long will the campaign run?
- How will you measure the success of the influencer’s involvement?
Research How Others In Your Field Are Using Influencers
Do some digging:
- What kinds of influencers are your competitors working with?
- How much of their marketing efforts include influencer marketing?
- Does it seem genuine and effective, or would you do things differently?
Look for these qualities:
- Consistent with posts, replying to comments, answering DMs
- Has a website or blog that is updated regularly
- Is easy to reach (if you can’t find their contact info easily, move along)
- Does not already promote too many products/not over-saturated
Create a Pitch
Prepare your initial contact:
- Introduce yourself and your product/service
- Explain why you feel this person’s community can benefit from your product/service
- Clearly and concisely explain the benefits of the partnership (perks you’re offering, etc.)
- Ask if they are interested in discussing further
Choosing the right social media influencer:
- Note responsiveness and professionalism of those who reply to your pitch
- Request a media kit and/or examples of past campaigns
- Clearly outline the expected deliverables for both parties (what are you offering them and what are they doing for you)
Make the Most of Your Social Media Influencer Partnership
Follow these social media influencer guidelines to ensure your influencers are working hard on your behalf.
- Prepare the content in advance. Make it foolproof! The more content you provide, the easier it is for your influencer(s) to get it in front of their communities. I create a Dropbox folder with a variety of images, post ideas and the official press release.
- Throw in extra perks to keep your influencers feeling valued, especially if you’re working on trade. For example, my event clients host “media-only previews” before our big events where we treat everyone to a behind-the-scenes taste of what happens on event day.
- Be reliable and available. Set the tone for the kind of working relationship you expect. You’ll find that some of your influencers just aren’t cutting it, and that’s okay. Your network will grow and evolve effectively if you remain easy to work with!
Trust me, I know that cultivating a successful influencer network is tons of work. I can promise you that it’s worth the time if you invest in building the right relationships. I hope these tips help you choose the right social media influencers for you. Remember:
- Determine a measurable goal to ensure maximum ROI.
- Research how influencers are being used by others in your field.
- Vet them to make sure their community is real, engaged and in line with your brand.
- Create a concise and easy pitch to open up a partnership conversation
- Manage the partnership closely and follow up regularly.
For more on social media marketing trends, keep up with me @bellestrategies.
Belle Strategies is a boutique Social Media Marketing company based in South Florida. Our team mixes innovative strategies with attention to detail for an online presence that produces tangible results. For assistance growing your brand on social media, contact us!